Medical Coding Specialist
- College/University: Dakota County Technical College
- Award: Associate of Applied Science
- Credits: 60
- Delivery: Face-to-face where some online courses may be available or required.
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) Certified
About this Program
Medical coding is a fast growing field and graduates of this program are vital members of healthcare teams, maintain and providing crucial information for patient care and safety, reimbursement, marketing, legal issues and research. This program prepares students to identify and use a variety of health information resources and technologies to accomplish the objectives of diverse medical practice environments. These students may perform tasks related to the use, analysis, validation, presentation, abstracting, coding, storage, security, retrieval, quality measurement and control of health care data. Emphasis will be placed on new and emerging technologies to accomplish these objectives and include courses in Electronic Health Records, Insurance and Coding, and Applied Medical Terminology. Students are introduced to Project Management and will become proficient in Word, Excel and Access. Graduates of the program may be eligible to take the national certification examination in medical coding.
- Dakota County Technical College 55068