One application provides you with the tools to communicate via audio, video, and web conferencing, instant messaging, and file and application sharing. Office 365 integrates Skype for Business with your Outlook calendar and mailbox, enabling you to schedule and start meetings from your Outlook calendar or the Skype desktop client.
Change Stored Email, Username, or Password
Setting Desktop Options
Schedule a Meeting
Join a Meeting - with Office 365 Account
Join a Meeting - as Guest with Web App
Meeting Window Tour for Presenters
Meeting Window Tour for Attendees
Skype was released in 2003 as software for peer-to-peer (P2P) communication. Since this was the original idea for the product, and what would make it different, the name had to reflect the project idea. However, the official name of the product Skype doesn't do that - or at least not in an obvious way. What people often don't know is that before Skype was chosen to represent the project, another name was used - sky peer-to-peer.
It is thought that "sky" was chosen to reflect that the network was passing the information through the air - the sky.
How do I login to Skype for Business?
Skype for Business can be used to communicate via instant messaging (IM), online meetings, audio and video calling at work or on the go.
You will need the following to sign-in to Skype for Business*:
Open Skype for Business from your PC.
Note: Skype for Business doesn’t have a tile in the Office 365 portal app launcher. You can access the web app via the apps: Calendar, Mail, and People (see icon in upper-right).
* Clicking "Save my password" will store your email address, username, and password. Future sign-in may prompt for your password, especially after a restart or relocation.
How do I install Skype for Business?
Skype should be installed with the Office Suite. If for some reason you need to install it separately, go to Office 365 - Settings
at portal>Office 365 settings> Software> Office and click Install to install Skype for Business.
Will I be able to answer Skype for Business calls and join meetings with my desk phone?
Not yet. Integrated audio communication is in the plan for future development but we are a ways off.
You will be able to use Skype for Business computer audio to meet online and video chat.
The full capabilities of Skype for Business (IM, audio, video, content sharing) are only available via the client app installed on your computer.
Skype for Business meetings may be scheduled through the client app on your desktop, Outlook, and Outlook Web App (an option in the schedule a meeting process).
If you don't have Outlook or Windows, or don't have a browser that supports the Outlook Web App, try using the Skype for Business Web Scheduler.
With Skype for Business Web Scheduler, you can create new meetings, change your existing meetings, and send invitations with your favorite email program.
The IM (chat) functionality is available through the Office 365 portal - People app.
With your Office 365 account and the Outlook desktop application, you can meet with anyone that has an email account, web browser, internet connection, and can download/install the Skype for Business Plugin. They don't need to be a member of the MnSCU Office 365 cloud or have a Microsoft account.
As the meeting host/facilitator, you will schedule the meeting via Outlook and send participants the appointment via email. To join the meeting, the participant will click a link within the body of the email. The link opens a browser window (for example, Firefox, Chrome, IE) and prompts the participant to
SCHEDULE A SKYPE FOR BUSINESS MEETING IN OUTLOOK DESKTOP CLIENT
1. Open Outlook and create an appointment. Enter your meeting topic, date and time.
2. Click Skype Meeting in the Appointment tab of the Ribbon.
Having clicked Skype Meeting in the Ribbon, a specific link to the meeting will be added to the body of the appointment.
3. Add the email addresses of the invitees and a message about the meeting.
On the day and time of the meeting, the host/facilitator and invitees open the appointment and click the link to Join Skype Meeting.
INVITEES WILL BE PROMPTED TO DOWNLOAD/INSTALL THE SKYPE FOR BUSINESS PLUGIN
Meeting participants that have an Office 365 account and are signed in: Meeting window will open
Meeting participants that do NOT have an Office 365 account: Browser window will open with link to "Join Using Skype for Business Web App instead"
If the Skype for Business Web App is already installed, participant will be prompted to enter their name as they'd like it to display in the meeting window:
If the Skype for Business Web App is not installed, participant will be prompted for their name and to download and run the installer:
When the web app has been downloaded and successfully installed, meeting window will open.
I'd like to use Skype for Business to chat/meet with a few campus employees but they're not listed in the address book. How do I connect with them?
Employees at a college or university that are not part of the MnSCU Office 365 tenant* will not appear in the address book.
If the college/university is using their own deployment of Office 365, a federation can be set up between the MnSCU Office 365 tenant and the college/university tenant which will allow users in these tenants to connect via Skype for Business (AKA Lync).
To facilitate this, open a Service Desk ticket - the Office 365 Shared Services Team will work with the campus to ensure the appropriate settings are in place.
*Think of "Tenant" as an apartment building, where a renter has their own space but shares hallways, elevators, stairs, lobby, etc., with other renters.
I can't hear the other participants in the Skype for Business meeting and Skype audio, and Skype indicates my speaker is muted. What do I do?
If you've joined a Skype for Business meeting, you're connected to the audio, but can't hear other participant:
A. Make sure your sound level setting is in a good range for you, and not muted. A quick way to test this is to open http://www.youtube.com in a browser tab and see if you can hear one of the videos.
B. If you're able to hear other audio, like a YouTube video, but not the Skype audio, click the speaker icon in the taskbar:
In the Volume Mixer window, unmute Skype for Business.
C. If the mixer setting for Skype for Business isn't muted, check to make sure that the correct device is selected (PC audio or headset).
Click the Call Controls icon in the Skype window, then click Devices:
Verify that Skype is set to use the correct device:
Which version of Skype for Business / Lync 2013 should be installed: 32-bit or 64-bit?
In most cases the 32-bit vrsion of Lync 2013 will be installed.
Many users have the 64-bit OS version installed with the 32-bit version of Office because of the many 32-bit third-party plug-ins for Outlook and Word.
Over time this will become less of an issue but until then the 32-bit version is recommended.
How do I install Skype for Business (Lync) for Mac?
The Microsoft blog posted that "OneDrive for Business will be available before the end of  and Skype for Business in 2016."
In the meantime, users with Office for Mac Standard 2011 on or after October 1, 2011 will have an Office suite that includes Lync for 2011 instead of Communicator for Mac 2011. Customers with active Software Assurance coverage for Office for Mac Standard 2011 on or after October 1, 2011 can use either Communicator for Mac 2011 or upgrade to Lync for Mac 2011.
The following instructions apply to Lync for 2011.
First, install the Lync app. Next, to use Lync for Mac 2011 with Office 365, you need to login to the Office 365 portal and click Install Skype for Business (Lync).
Install Skype for Business (Lync):
1. Download the Lync App from the App Store.
2. Click Continue on the install Welcome window.
3. Click Continue on the install Software Licence Agreement window.
Select the Hard Drive on the Mac you want to install the app on.
4. Click Agree to accept the software license agreement.
Login to the Office 365 portal with your system Office 365/UPN credentials (StarID@mnscu.edu / StarID password).
5. Click on the Settings icon in the upper-right (next to the question mark).
6. Click Software.
7. Click Skype for Business in the menu on the left.
8. Install the Lync for Mac 2011 update, steps are similar to installing the app--see #2 above.
9. Launch the Lync app from the Mac and follow the setup steps.
10. Click Advanced at the bottom of the Lync:mac window (above).
11. Launch the Lync for Mac 2011 app. Add contacts to your Microsoft Lync.
How do I install Skype for Business (Lync) on my Android device?
Users in the technical preview program will receive an email invitation to install Skype for Business. Follow the instructions in the email.
Preview documentation - may change as features are released or updated.
Sign in to Skype for Business for the first time
1. Browse your apps until you find Skype for Business, then tap the icon to open the app.
2. Enter your sign in address - your email address.
3. Enter your user name - your Office 365/UPN (StarID@mnscu.edu).
4. Enter your StarID password, click Sign in.
5. Enter your mobile number.
6. Tap to continue.
7. Choose whether to sync your contacts and tap Continue to start using Skype for Business.
How do I install Skype for Business (Lync) on my iPhone/iPad?
Lync 2013 for iOS devices - iPad and iPhone - has become Skype for Business. The app requires iOS 8.0 or later. If you're using Lync 2013 for iOS for an earlier version of iOS, continue to use that.
Note: If Lync for iOS is installed on your device, it is recommended that you remove that app before installing Skype for Business for iOS.
Install Skype for Business for iOS
1. From your device, go to the App Store and search for Skype for Business.
2. Tap Get / Install (the cloud).
Sign in to Skype for Business for iOS for the first time
1. On your iOS device, swipe through your /apps until you find Skype for Business.
2. Tap the icon to open the app.
3. Choose to allow notifications, or not.
4. Click to acknowledge the Lync notification.
5. Enter your email address and your StarID password, then scroll down and tap Show Advanced Options.
6. Under Advanced Options enter your Office 365/UPN username (StarID@mnscu.edu) as your User Name.
7. Scroll down to see the other setting options.
8. If prompted, click Continue to accept the redirection.
9. Enter your phone number. If you're an enterprise voice customer and Skype for Business can't use a Wi-Fi or cellular data network to make an audio or video call, you'll be called at this number and connected to the audio portion of the call.
10. If applicable, choose whether to sign up for the Customer Experience Improvement Program.
7. If prompted, accept the licensing agreement, and then click Done.