With 54 campus locations in 47 communities across the state, Minnesota State is a system of 37 distinct colleges and universities offering an extraordinary education at an exceptional value. You can stay close to home or explore a new region of Minnesota while gaining the knowledge and career skills that fit your interests. With more than 5,400 educational programs, the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities offer many choices at a great value.
What do I need to get into college?
Generally, you should take three years of math, science and social studies, and four years of English while in high school. For technical and community colleges, all you need is a high school diploma or GED. There are minimum ACT or SAT test score requirements for state universities. Check with the college or university admissions office for a complete set of admissions requirements.
Steps to success
- See your high school guidance counselor for help beginning the college selection process.
- Contact the college admissions office and ask for a brochure.
- Explore college and university Web sites.
- Search for academic programs/majors throughout the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system.
- Request more information from colleges that interest you.
- Schedule a campus visit.
- Take the ACT or SAT if you think you might attend a four-year university. One of these standardized tests is required for admission to a four-year state university.
- Consider taking college PSEO courses beginning in 11th grade if you are eligible. Under certain circumstances, students in 10th grade may also be eligible to enroll in PSEO courses.
- Apply to college. For a four-year university, apply in the fall. For a two-year college, applications are accepted until the college semester begins.
- Apply for financial aid after Jan. 1 of your senior year. Download the free federal financial aid application (FAFSA) form at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Look for scholarships. College admissions offices and high school counselors can help you.
- Review the academic calendar to plan ahead for upcoming semesters.
Brochure available in nine languages
The “Make College a Part of Your Future” brochure is available in the nine languages spoken most commonly in Minnesota. Download a PDF of the brochure in the language of your choice below.