Minnesota State Chancellor: Devinder Malhotra
Welcome to Minnesota State – the state’s largest provider of higher education – a system of 33 vibrant colleges and universities. I have been humbled and honored to serve as chancellor for the last six years, as it has be the greatest privilege of my professional life. As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. On October 19, 2022, I announced that I plan to retire effective August 1, 2023, at the end of my current contract.
During my tenure, we have been committed to inclusive excellence and ensuring our students receive an extraordinary, affordable, and accessible education. We are not only the largest, but the most diverse higher education provider in the State of Minnesota. Located within 54 distinctive communities and woven into the economic, social, and cultural fabric of Minnesota, our colleges and universities are united in achieving Equity 2030.
I am uniquely proud of Equity 2030. Equity 2030 aims to close the educational equity gaps across race and ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and geographic location in the next ten years. It is an ambitious goal and one we have embraced with a renewed sense of urgency. It will require a continued cohesive and coordinated approaches across our schools, cultural change and innovation, and, most importantly, leadership with a steadfast focus to support all our students. While there is much still to do, I am inspired by the equity-minded and anti-racist practices and efforts underway on our campuses.
We know that when all students succeed, our communities and economy prosper. With Minnesota’s rapidly changing demographics, increasingly becoming more multicultural and multiethnic, Minnesota State is well poised to provide Minnesota the talent it needs for its social and economic vibrancy.
I am certain Minnesota State will continue to innovate, collaborate, and treat each other with compassion, and offer students the transformative education they deserve to pursue their dreams and goals.
Minnesota State seeks a visionary and inspirational higher education leader for what is the largest and most diverse provider of higher education in Minnesota, and the third-largest system of colleges and universities in the United States.The next Chancellor will be joining the Minnesota State system at a pivotal time, requiring a leader who is able to transform public higher education while focusing on student success to meet the needs of a rapidly changing society. In addition, our next leader will encourage and honor the innovation and dynamism of the individual colleges and universities and foster their collective vivacity while also harnessing the power of operating as a system. Learn more about the position and nominating process.
- Alum stories, featuring: A Saint Paul College welding alum who found a niche in the aerospace industry and how northern Minnesota's largest candy store has sweet Bemidji State University ties. (2023, v1)
- Alum stories, featuring: Century College alumna who has a passion for nursing and sharing health information and a St. Cloud State University alumnus who covered Hurricane Ian for KARE-11. (2022, v10)
- Veteran stories, featuring: An Air Force Veteran earning two degrees, three certificates at Dakota County Technical College and how a Minnesota State University, Mankato student went from campus to the Pentagon. (2022, v9)
- Stories about students pursuing their passions, featuring: Welding student Janie Sands and business owner Cheryl Ferrill. (2022, v8)
- Stories about unique paths to higher education: St. Cloud Technical & Community College Alum brings non-traditional plan to higher education and Bemidji State University senior looks to help others overcome addiction. (2022, v7)
- Community contribution stories, featuring: Inver Hills Community College graduate who made a career shift to para medicine and Minnesota State University Moorhead graduate who is helping making Fargo/Moorhead area more sustainable. (2022, v6)
- Stories about different plans to college, featuring: Karen Beltran, a Minneapolis College student, who went back to finish her degree and Sarah Lancaster, a 2013 St. Cloud State University graduate, who was named the 58th recipient of the Minnesota Teacher of the Year Award. (2022, v5)
- Stories from community and technical colleges, featuring: A Century College alum who combines two loves into successful career and a Northwest Technical College alum who hung up scrubs for a fresh and flexible career in medical coding. (2022, v4)
- Program stories, featuring: Northland Community and Technical College student McKenna Aitchison and Southwest Minnesota State University student Sureeporn Sompamitwong. (2022, v3)
- Career and Technical Education stories, featuring: Hennepin Technical College student Cassy Jensen and Taryn Reichow, a student at Minnesota State College Southeast. (2022, v2)
- Graduate stories, featuring: Saint Paul College grad Mai Xiong and Minnesota State University Moorhead alum Xavier Reed. (2022, v1)
- Minnesota State trains Minnesota National Guard: Dakota County Technical College and St. Cloud Technical & Community College are two of 16 colleges training guard members to be Certified Nursing Assistants. (2021, v9)
- Student-veterans stories, featuring: Lake Superior graduate Davan Scott and Janet Lorenzo, a graduate of Inver Hills Community College. (2021, v8).
- Alumni success stories, featuring: Northwest Technical College alum Siau Yean Montgomery and Minnesota State University, Mankato graduate Josh Tavel. (2021, v7).
- First-generation stories, featuring: Winona State University graduate Diana Tapia Alvarado and Century College's Mai Yang Xiong (2021, v6).
- Diversity stories, featuring: North Hennepin Community College graduate Deb Fortney and Minnesota State University, Mankato student Andres Campbell (2021, v5)
- Student success stories, featuring: Normandale College alum Scott Thayer and Bemidji State University student BreAnnene Wilson (2021, v4)
- Graduate stories, featuring: Lake Superior College cybersecurity student Ester Manley and St. Cloud State University biotechnology student D'anna Nelson (2021, v3)
- Workforce Development Scholarship stories, featuring: Dakota County Technical College student Postak Shrestha and Rochester Community and Technical College student Chanraksa Phann (2021, v2)
- Mentorship stories, featuring: Minnesota West Community & Technical College student Andy Garcia Arreguin and Minnesota State University, Mankato student Tabitha Plasschaert (2021, v1)
- Student success stories, featuring: Minneapolis College polysomnography grad Sarah Moe and Minnesota State University Moorhead film grad Zach Marion (2020, v9)
- Veterans and service members stories, featuring: Metropolitan State University nursing student Jennifer Busho/US Army Reserves and Dakota County Technical College nursing graduate/US Navy Veteran Giulia Occhino (2020, v8)
- Student success stories, featuring: Alexandria Technical & Community College diesel mechanics graduate Frank Klimek and Inver Hills Community College Emergency Medical Services student Cody Johnson (2020, v7)
- Student success stories, featuring: Northland Community and Technical College graduate Kat Willems and Dakota County Technical College PSEO student Emily Westerdahl (2020, v6)
- Faculty and staff resilience stories, featuring: Southwest Minnesota State University and Minnesota State College Southeast (2020, v5)
- Service worker stories, featuring: Century College paramedic graduate Rachel Miller and Winona State University graduate Jaci Gosse (2020, v4)
- Frontline healthcare hero stories, featuring: Bemidji State University nuring graduate Emily Allen and and St Cloud Technical and Community College nursing student Taylor Root (2020, v3)
- Student success stories, featuring: Itasca Community College student Jamaal Baird and Minnesota State University, Mankato grad Nelsie Yang (2020, v2)
- Internship stories, featuring: Vermilion Community College graduate Chris Foley and St. Cloud State University Graduate Anna Furth (2020, v1)
- Minnesota State Colleges and Universities Chancellor, Dr. Devinder Malhotra: A broader mission: maintain integrity, cultural sensitivity, relevance (Insight News, 3/15/21)
- Video excerpt of 03/02/2021 Conversations with Al McFarlane (with KFAI permission from full video:https://www.kfai.org/episode/03-02-2021-conversations-with-al-mcfarlane/)
Commentary: Let Minnesota’s colleges and universities lead in state's recovery (Inforum, 12/9/20)
- Minnesota State to review law enforcement training in response to George Floyd killing (Star Tribune, 6/17/20)
- Daily News editorial board: It’s a good time to invest in higher education (Winona Daily News, 5/13/20)
- MN State chancellor talks COVID-19 impact, response (The Globe, 5/9/20)
- Opinion Exchange: Minnesota’s higher education systems need our investment (Star Tribune, 1/10/20)
- Minnesota State colleges and universities push to shrink achievement gaps (Star Tribune, 11/8/19)
- Creating new paths to higher education (Star Tribune, 7/3/19)
- Acting chair of the Midwestern Higher Education Compact
Notice of Appointment by Governor Tim Walz (3/3/21-1/6/25)
- Chair of the National Association of System Heads
- Member of the Community Advisory Board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis
Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development Summer of Jobs Summit | August 8, 2022
- Twin Cities Diversity and Inclusion Roundtable, DEI Strategy in the Midst of Crisis speaker | April 15, 2021
- Hunt Institute, Postsecondary Pathways, Building Coalitions of Support for Higher Education panelist | April 8, 2021
- Leadership St. Paul | St. Paul Area Chambers of Commerce, Equity in Education speech | September 17, 2020
- Association for the Study of Higher Education, Adapting to State and Federal Higher Education and Financial Landscape amid COVID-19 panelist | September 10, 2020
- National Association of System Heads (NASH), Words Don’t Count: How Public Systems of Higher Education Combat Systemic Racism panelist | July 30, 2020
- State Higher Education Executive Officers Association, State Action, Quality Assurance and COVID-19 focus group | July 24, 2020
- National Association of System Heads, Interview with NASH and Commissioner Clay Christian interview | July 20, 2020
- State Higher Education Executive Officers Association, Navigating Enrollment Shifts panelist | July 15, 2020
For media requests and interviews, please email Director of Communications and Media Doug.Anderson@MinnState.edu.
To invite the chancellor to attend or speak at an event, please complete and submit an Appearance Request Form.
Vice Chancellor for
Information Technology Services
Office of the Board of Trustees
Vice Chancellor of Human Resources
Vice Chancellor for Equity and Inclusion
Acting General Counsel
Senior Vice Chancellor for
Academic and Student Affairs
Chief Marketing and
Chief Audit Officer
Vice Chancellor for
Finance and Facilities
Special Assistant to the Chancellor
Executive Director for
the Center for Data Access and Analytics
Chief of Staff
Chief of Staff
Senior Executive Assistant