Military, Veterans, and Military Spouses Career Planning Resources

Are you looking to transition your military skills to a civilian career?  The resources below can help you know your options and get help.  Military spouses will also find tools to help them highlight their unique, valuable skills.

Get Help and Plan Your Career

  • Minnesota Veteran Employment Representatives
    CareerForce representatives are available in every region to help current and former military members who are looking for work. Representatives are also available to work specifically with Native American Veterans and Justice-Involved Veterans.
  • Veteran and Military Transition Center
    Visit this national tool to explore civilian careers, learn about going to school, search for a job, and find out about benefits and assistance available for veterans and military members.
  • Vet & Service Member Roadmap
    Hiring Our Heroes & George W. Bush Institute
    This comprehensive tool provides transitioning veterans and service members resources to navigate the employment landscape and succeed in the civilian workforce.
  • Military Skills Translator
    Match your military experience to civilian jobs.
  • Apprenticeships for Servicemen and Veterans
    U.S. Department of Labor
    Find apprenticeship opportunities for active-duty service members, transitioning members and veterans who are looking for civilian careers.

Pay for Training

Write a Resume

  • Verification of Military Experience and Training (VMET)
    All Department of Defense Service members and veterans can request a VMET which describes their Service occupation and contains training and experience records. Use this record to prepare your resume and apply for a job.
  • Request Military Service Records
    Most veterans can obtain free copies of the Report of Separation (DD Form 214) and other military service records. Visit this site to learn how to request your records.
  • Resume Engine
    Hiring Our Heroes – U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation
    Resume Engine helps service members and veterans translate their military record into a skills-based resume designed for civilian employers.

Find a Job

  • Veteran Employment Center
    The American Legion and
    Use this search tool to find jobs that are open now. You will also find tools to help you translate your military skills to a civilian career, learn about your military benefits, and find career advice.
  • The Veterans Employment Initiative
    Many federal agencies have initiatives to promote hiring of veterans within their agencies. Visit this site to learn about the federal employment process and find featured jobs.

Veterans Crisis Line |  800-273-8255 (Press 1)
The crisis line offers phone, chat, or email help 24/7 for Service Members, Veterans, National Guard and Reserve and their family members and friends.

ESGR Department of Defense (DoD)
This DoD program helps Reserve Service members and their civilian employers resolve conflicts that arise from a Service members military commitment. A no-cost customer support center is available to answer questions and refer cases to a trained ombudsman for mediation assistance if needed. Submit requests for help online or call 800-336-4590 (Option 1).

Minnesota Association of County Veterans Service Officers (MACVSO)
A county Veterans Service Officer can help you understand and obtain your benefits. Contact your local Officer to get help with VA healthcare, disability compensation, education benefits, job placement, and more.

Minnesota Assistance Council for Veterans (MACV)
MACV helps veterans and families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.  MACV also has employment specialists to help veterans transition to civilian jobs.

Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs 
Get help connecting to federal and state benefits. Select LinkVet Support to get one-on-one assistance by chat or phone. LinkVet phone support can be reached at 1-888-LinkVet.

Get Help

Chat with us at the Info Hub
Toll-free: 833-905-WORK
MN Relay: 800-627-3529