Other Types of Financial Aid

Your college or university will use the results of your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application to determine your eligibility for federal and state financial aid.  This aid could include loans, grants, and work-study.  If you have not filled out your FAFSA, do this firstIf you are an undocumented student, you should not submit a FAFSA. Instead, undocumented students should use the MN Dream Act application.

In addition to the aid that your financial aid office identifies from your FAFSA application, other financial help may be available to you depending upon your situation. Review the resources below to find opportunities to get help paying for your tuition.

  • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
    A federal program that gives workers the chance to learn the skills and knowledge needed to compete in the new economy. Under WIOA, training programs are certified as meeting certain standards.

    Eligible Minnesotans can use federal WIOA funds to pay for training programs that are WIOA certified. WIOA certified training programs include apprenticeship programs.

    Contact CareerForce to see if you qualify for WIOA training.
  • MN Dislocated Worker Program (DWP)
    You may qualify for this program if you are out of work through no fault of your own.

    Contact CareerForce to see if you qualify for DWP.
  • MN Family Resiliency Partnership (MFRP)
    MFRP is federally known as Displaced Homemaker Program (DHP). This program helps people who have worked mainly in the home to develop the skills they need to find and maintain a job.

    You may qualify for this program if you have provided unpaid household services for at least two years, have lost your primary source of income, and now find that you must support yourself and your family.

    Contact MN Family Resiliency Partnership (MFRP) to apply.
  • Pathways to Prosperity
    Competitive grant program and services designed to provide workforce development and training opportunities to economically disadvantaged adults that will help them develop increased career awareness; acquire basic skills education; participate in skills-training programs; and place into employment in high growth, high demand industries with long-term employment opportunities.  

    You may qualify if you identify as any one of these:
    • individual of color,
    • individual lacking stable housing,
    • individual with a criminal record,
    • individual without a high school diploma or equivalent,
    • individual with disabilities,
    • individual who has been unemployed

    Contact CareerForce to see if you qualify.

  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment and Training Program
    Supplemental funding program to assist Minnesotans with low incomes in developing pathways to marketable and in-demand skills, leading to career advancement and self-sufficiency, contributing to an inclusive and diverse workforce. If you receive SNAP benefits, you may qualify for education assistance.

    Contact a CareerForce specialist and find SNAP training providers.

  • Federal VA Education
    Federal VA benefits help Veterans, service members, and qualified family members pay college tuition, find the right school or training program, and obtain career counseling.
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR&E)
    If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, VR&E can help. Services include learning new skills, finding a new job, starting a business, getting educational counseling, or returning to your former job.
  • CareerForce Veterans Resources
    Contact Veterans Employment Representatives located around the state to get help with career planning.

Find more information about education benefits for military connected people.

Vocational Rehabilitation
If you have a disability that makes it hard for you to get and keep a job, you may be eligible for a variety of counseling, training, job skills and job placement services. Financial assistance can include tuition, fees, books, supplies, tools and equipment for training.

Make sure you contact the financial aid office at your college or university to learn about all of the opportunities available to you.  In addition to your financial aid office, talk to an advisor at your college or university about grant opportunities that you may be eligible for.

Learn about support services to help with child care, food, transportation, and more.