How to Pay for Short-Term Training

You have several ways to get help paying for training. The type of help depends on your circumstances and the type of training you are interested in. You can get help through financial aid, scholarships, grants, and programs designed to help people gain skills and knowledge. You can also get help to support your family with child care, food, and other resources while you are in training.

Select the type of training you are interested in below to learn about each option's costs and how to get help. If you aren't sure which training is right for you, learn about types of training

Click on any of the blue bars below to see what’s in that section.

STEP ONE: Find the course that interests you.  You will be able to see the cost for each course.  

STEP TWO: Depending upon your circumstances, there may be state or federal funds that can help you gain the skills you need to find a job and advance your career (example: money to help people who were laid off from work, services for people with disabilities, etc.). Contact a CareerForce representative to see if you qualify for the programs below or other assistance:

  • Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
    WIOA helps pay for training to give workers a chance to learn the skills and knowledge needed to compete in the new economy.  If you are eligible for the WIOA program, look for courses marked "W-E" in the course title.  These courses have been certified as eligible for WIOA funding.  
  • Dislocated Worker Funds
    If you were laid off (or notified that a layoff is coming) through no fault of your own, you might be eligible for career development, job search, and other services.

STEP THREE: Some employers offer education assistance. Contact your supervisor or human resources representative to ask about tuition reimbursement or other benefits available to you.

STEP FOUR: Make sure you have the financial support to take care of yourself while you are in training.  Learn about support services that offer help with child care, financial support, food support, transportation, and more.

In addition to the types of training above, you have options to get the skills you need:

  • Adult Basic Education (ABE) Courses
    Free courses are available to help you improve your math, reading, or English (ESL) skills.  You can also find free GED and college preparation courses. Some ABE locations offer career training.   
  • Apprenticeship Programs
    Earn a salary while learning a skilled craft or trade through an apprenticeship program. 
  • Pathways to Prosperity
    Pathways to Prosperity is a program that helps people gain the skills they need to succeed in high-demand careers.  If you are eligible, you may be able to access education and training, support services, and job placement at no cost. 
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Employment and Training
    SNAP Employment and Training helps people transition from public assistance to self-sufficiency through training and employment support services. Support services include transportation and child care.