The Advancing Academic Success in Math project transforms the way developmental mathematics education is delivered in Minnesota, allowing for access to college-level courses with immediate, relevant support.
Successful implementation of Advancing Academic Success in Math has been demonstrated to address disparities among racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups, provide access, and create a safe and inclusive environment for all students.
Corequisite Model Benefits
At the heart of the project is the use of corequisite math courses instead of prerequisite courses. Traditionally, many students are not permitted to enroll in college-level math courses and classes in other disciplines that require mathematical skills and knowledge. They are instead assigned prerequisite courses, which they must complete in order to start achieving math graduation requirements.
A corequisite approach:
- Provides the math coaching, instruction, and encouragement students need at the same time they are applying the required mathematical skills in a college-level math class aligned to their field of study
- Saves students time and money by avoiding prerequisite courses, which are non-credit bearing and delay the time it takes for students to begin their chosen field of study
- Helps students stay on track and enter the workforce faster
- Gives students access to support that is effective, efficient, and equitable
- Provides relevant and immediate content tied directly to students’ studies and goals
- Does not reduce expectations for students’ mathematical skills, but restructures how they gain fluency
Minnesota State campuses have incorporated an Advancing Academic Success in Math approach to their math curriculum. Below are our campus partners.
Alexandria Technical and Community College
Anoka Technical College
Anoka-Ramsey Community College
Bemidji State University
Central Lakes College
Fond du Lac Tribal and Community College
Inver Hills Community College
Metropolitan State University
Minnesota State Community and Technical College
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Minnesota State University, Moorhead
Normandale Community College
North Hennepin Community College
Northland Community and Technical College
Pine Technical and Community College
Riverland Community College
Rochester Community and Technical College
Saint Paul College
South Central College
Southwest Minnesota State University
St. Cloud State University
St. Cloud Technical and Community College
Northeast Higher Education District/Minnesota North College
Learn more about what Minnesota State is doing to advance academic success in math.
Janica Austad Ed.D.
Interim System Director, P-20 and College Readiness