Transfer Action Plan

This action plan will help you explore the transfer process. The plan will also help you navigate the resources available to you as you go through transfer.

  1. Research the program or institution you are interested in by visiting websites, talking with people who have attended the institution, and attending information sessions offered by the institution. Use these links to conduct an academic program search of various majors offered in Minnesota: Minnesota State, Private Colleges, and University of Minnesota.
  2. Look up the college or university accreditation status and accrediting body and compare it to the transfer policy at the college or university to which you intend to transfer. Colleges and universities consider an institution's or a program's accreditation as one of the factors they use to evaluate credit for transfer. Use the following links depending on the region the college or university is located:

    Contact a transfer specialist if you have any questions or concerns.

  3. Determine the type of degree (diploma or certificate) that best meets your educational goal by talking to a transfer specialist and by researching your career. If you plan to attend a two-year college with the intention to transfer to complete a four-year baccalaureate degree, it is extremely important to plan your courses and program carefully since not all associate degrees or programs are designed for transfer. See the Two-Year Academic Programs Designed for Transfer page for descriptions of the transferability of different types of associate degrees and programs.
  4. Research course equivalencies at your receiving institution or program based on your transfer profile.

    Transfer profiles and course/program resources

    Transfer Profile Course Research Resources
    You have taken courses at a two or four year institution. You may have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum and/or an Associate in Arts degree.
    • Transferology: Offers accurate course and credit equivalencies and lets you create plans to know how courses transfer to specific majors at participating colleges and universities. You can also see what courses are required for your major.
    • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC): Provides details about the MnTC courses and goal areas.
    You have completed a specialized professional or technical program (e.g., Associate in Science (AS), Associate in Fine Arts (AFA), Associate in Applied Science (AAS), diploma or certificate). Articulation Agreements: Contains a searchable database of articulation agreements which show you if your present college has an agreement with receiving universities. Note: Articulation agreements are for program-to-program transfer, so you will need to transfer to a university that has an articulation agreement for your program. If no agreement exists, some or all of the courses in your associate degree, diploma or certificate may not transfer. The entire associate degree usually has to be completed to be honored as fulfilling part of an articulation agreement. Some technical or other courses in an Associate in Applied Science degree, diploma or certificate may not transfer and apply to the baccalaureate degree.
    You have not taken any college courses, and you want to plan for a future transfer. You can use any of the resources listed above depending on where you will begin your education. Example: If you choose to complete an Associate of Arts degree at a community college, you can use the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum (MnTC), Transferology, and Transfer Guides to plan your transfer.
  5. Review the information in Other Types of Transfer Credit to see if you qualify for additional college credit.
  6. Plan for the next steps in the transfer process.

    Next steps

    • Review course schedules for Minnesota State colleges and universities, the University of Minnesota, and Private colleges and universities to see when courses are offered.
    • View the information in the Minnesota State admissions section to support your application to a specific program or institution.

    Always Keep in Mind

    • Speak with a transfer specialist if you have any questions or concerns.
    • Keep a written record of all transfer correspondence, such as:
      • Phone calls and in-person correspondence: Write down the names of the people you speak with, the date, and any advice you receive. This action will help you correctly remember your advising conversations.
      • Advising sessions: Write down the important points and the advisor's name, email address, and phone number. Keep a folder with all advising information.
    • Check out the transfer credit policy at the institution you want to attend. Some institutions have limits on transfer credits.
    • Keep all course syllabi and outlines in a safe, accessible place. You may need them to transfer credits or if you return to college after a long absence.
    • Colleges and universities have an appeal process if you are not satisfied with transfer decisions. Look for the appeal process on websites, in catalogs, or contact the registrar for more information. The Minnesota State Colleges and Universities provide an appeal process at the college or university and at the system level. After you have appealed at your MnSCU college or university, if you are still dissatisfied, you may appeal at the system level. View the system-level appeal form.

For Minnesota State Staff, Faculty, and Administration, access Transfer information through ASA Connect. Not sure how to log in to ASA Connect? View instructions.