International students

International student portrait

Minnesota's state admissions policy says "International students shall be considered for admission if their scholastic preparation is judged to be equivalent to the admissions requirements of the institution to which they are applying.

"International students who are not native speakers of English shall be required to demonstrate proficiency in English on a standardized test selected by the admitting institution."

The decision to admit students is made by each college or university. These requirements are based on the admission requirements for domestic students.

To be considered for enrollment at one of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities, you must submit the following information to the college or university you want to attend:

  • A completed application for admissions
  • Any required application fees
  • Certified high school and post-secondary transcripts translated into English
  • A certified financial statement verifying resources adequate to complete your chosen course of study
  • Proof of English proficiency, such as TOEFL examination scores (Test Of English as a Foreign Language)

Contact the college or university you plan to attend to find out about specific or additional requirements, such as:

  • Proof of health insurance coverage
  • Documentation of immunization
  • Application deadlines for International admission
  • Handwritten essays outlining academic background & educational objectives
  • Copies of U.S. visa and forms such as I-94 and I-20 ID
  • Declaration of a major

To find out more information about the specific qualifications and requirements for studying at a college or university in Minnesota, contact the college or university of your choice directly. You can "Search Campuses" to get addresses, telephone numbers, and website links for each Minnesota State college and university.

After you have decided on the college or university you are interested in attending, contact the international student advisor at that institution. Usually, you will be able to find the name and contact information for that person on the college or university website.

If no one is listed as an international student advisor, contact the admissions office for that institution.