Credential Code: 500040
Revised Date(s): 1/21/09, 3/22/23
Review Date(s): 3/28/17, 3/22/23
- Bachelor's degree in nursing or a graduate degree in support of the field of nursing and/or education with a Bachelor's degree in Nursing if the graduate degree is not in Nursing.
- A nursing program director must hold a graduate degree in nursing, nursing administration, nursing education, public health nursing or a nursing clinical specialty.
Occupational Experience Requirement
- Two full-time years (or equivalent) of verified related paid work experience as a registered nurse at the professional level.
- As a registered nurse at the professional level, experientially qualified to accomplish the mission, goals, and expected student and faculty outcomes; including experiential preparation in the areas the faculty will teach.
- One year of this work experience shall be within the five years immediately preceding the date of application for the credential field. The recency requirement shall be waived if the individual has two years of successful full-time (or equivalent) postsecondary teaching experience in the credential field within the last five years.
- Current unencumbered licensure as a registered nurse (RN) with current registration in Minnesota.
- Other Requirement: Compliance with clinical affiliate policies for attending on-site clinical teaching assignments.
Teaching and Learning Competency Requirement
- course construction (credit course)*
- teaching/instructional methods (credit course)*
- student outcomes assessment/evaluation (credit course)*
- philosophy of community and technical college education (credit or non-credit course)**
- Faculty shall have a degree in education or three years of successful full-time (or equivalent) teaching experience prior to being hired, or shall be required to complete coursework in the above content areas (or their equivalent) prior to being granted unlimited status.
- * These courses shall be waived for individuals who at the time of hire have: a degree in education, or have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework in the specified teaching and learning content areas, or have three years of successful, full-time (or equivalent) secondary, postsecondary, industry, or trade apprenticeship teaching experience in the field for which they are being hired. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.2)
- ** This course shall be waived for individuals who, at the time of hire, have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.3)