Credential Code: 500062
Revised Date(s): 8/20/09
- Associate's degree with a major in law enforcement or criminal justice.
Occupational Experience Requirement
- Four full-time years (or equivalent) of verified related paid work experience in law enforcement, a maximum of two years of this experience may be in corrections.
- One year of this work experience shall be within the five years immediately preceding the date of application for the credential field. The recency requirement shall be waived if the individual has two years of successful full-time (or equivalent) postsecondary teaching experience in the credential field within the last five years.
- POST (Peace Officers Standards and Training Board of Minnesota) eligible, or a Federal licensed agent with the powers of arrest, the completion of a basic course recognized by a state council, state commission, state board, or state agency which leads to licensing or basic certification as a law enforcement officer, including but not limited to the basic Drug Enforcement Administration's Agent school, the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Basic Agent school or the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center's uniform patrol course or basic investigators course.
Teaching and Learning Competency Requirement
- course construction (credit course)*
- teaching/instructional methods (credit course)*
- student outcomes assessment/evaluation (credit course)*
- philosophy of community and technical college education (credit or non-credit course)**
- Faculty shall have a degree in education or three years of successful full-time (or equivalent) teaching experience prior to being hired, or shall be required to complete coursework in the above content areas (or their equivalent) prior to being granted unlimited status.
- * These courses shall be waived for individuals who at the time of hire have: a degree in education, or have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework in the specified teaching and learning content areas, or have three years of successful, full-time (or equivalent) secondary, postsecondary, industry, or trade apprenticeship teaching experience in the field for which they are being hired. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.2)
- ** This course shall be waived for individuals who, at the time of hire, have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.3)