Credential Code: 500068
Revised Date(s): 9/24/09
Review Date(s): 12/04/18
- Bachelor's degree in translation or interpreting, or
- Bachelor's degree in linguistics, TESOL, or a foreign language with a certificate in translation or interpreting from an accredited institution or agency, or
- Bachelor's degree including 15 semester credits in translation and interpreting and three (3) semester credits in socio-linguistics and three (3) semester credits in theoretical linguistics.
Occupational Experience Requirement
- Two full-time years (or equivalent) of verified related paid work experience in translating/interpreting in formal community translating/interpreting settings (such as community medical, educational, and legal settings).
- One year of this work experience shall be within the five years immediately preceding the date of application for the credential field. The recency requirement shall be waived if the individual has two years of successful full-time (or equivalent) postsecondary teaching experience in the credential field within the last five years.
Teaching and Learning Competency Requirement
- course construction (credit course)*
- teaching/instructional methods (credit course)*
- student outcomes assessment/evaluation (credit course)*
- philosophy of community and technical college education (credit or non-credit course)**
- Faculty shall have a degree in education or three years of successful full-time (or equivalent) teaching experience prior to being hired, or shall be required to complete coursework in the above content areas (or their equivalent) prior to being granted unlimited status.
- * These courses shall be waived for individuals who at the time of hire have: a degree in education, or have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework in the specified teaching and learning content areas, or have three years of successful, full-time (or equivalent) secondary, postsecondary, industry, or trade apprenticeship teaching experience in the field for which they are being hired. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.2)
- ** This course shall be waived for individuals who, at the time of hire, have documented evidence of successful completion of equivalent coursework. (Procedure 3.32.1 College Faculty Credentialing, Part 5, Subpart B.3)